[plug] DNS file question

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Sun Aug 29 17:51:52 WST 1999

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Subba Rao wrote:

> I have setup a local DNS for a bogus domain following the HOWTO docs.
> Everything works fine. Following other books on DNS, they do cover some
> material on the file "/etc/named.boot". I did not see any reference of this in the HOWTO.

The redhat caching-nameserver RPM has both named.boot and named.conf,
but they seem to do the same thing. The former isnt mentioned in the
man pages, so I grepped in /usr/doc/bind-8-2 (the bind/named docs on my
box) and found:

    Note that /etc/named.boot is long gone.  You need to make yourself an
    /etc/named.conf (note, that ends in "conf" rather than "boot") file.
    This file looks a lot like a C program or a modern gated.conf file;
    there are lots of {curly braces} and it takes some getting used to.
    You may get a lot more help from the example file (which is
    bin/named/named.conf) than from the documentation (see ../doc/html).
    You can convert your named.boot file to a named.conf file if you have
    Perl; see bin/named/named-bootconf.pl.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
	f u cn rd ths, itn tyg h myxbl cd.