[plug] Couple of strange ones..

Brad Campbell brad at nospam.seme.com.au
Mon Aug 30 10:56:23 WST 1999

Morning All..

A couple of (probably silly) problems here and I'm at a loose end.
Maybe someone has seen them before.
1st one is between 2 debian 2.1 boxes with lpd.
One is a printer server and the other my main work box.
I just can't get an lpd connection.
lpd on my work box tells me the printer server is refusing a connection.
I have the correct ip and host names in
/etc/hosts
/etc/hosts.lpd
/etc/hosts.equiv

Nothing about any connection attempts in the syslog
My local printcap is set up ok, because it used to work
before I changed from debian 1.3 to 2.1
All I did was copy the old printcap across..
lpd on the printer server works ok because I can print from windows
boxes using samba,
which leads onto the other gremlin..

I cant log onto the samba server from a windows box unless my ppp
link is up to the outside world.

I'm running named as a local forwarding nameserver on this box and
I can only assume it's some kind of dns problem.
Again, samba appeared to work ok under debian 2.1.
It's samba 2.0.5a.

Once I'm logged on, I can drop the ppp link and everything is just
fine, but if I reboot the windows box, I need to bring the link up
again so I can log on..

it HAS to be dns related I'm sure. The only thing I have not tried
and I will try next is to disable named and see what happens.
again.. the /etc/hosts file is fine.

Is there any way to tell named to query the local hosts file as well?
I can't seem to locate it in the docs.. tho I have been known to be
blind at times..

Thanks..
Brad..