[plug] Couple of strange ones..

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Mon Aug 30 12:04:56 WST 1999

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Brad Campbell wrote:
> I cant log onto the samba server from a windows box unless my ppp
> link is up to the outside world.

Unless you have a dynamic IP, this is most certainly because it is trying
to connect to the IP address of the PPP interface, which of course does
not exist until you dial up. You will wish to convince the client to use
the IP address of your ethernet interface. You could use the dummy net
device, but it's probably better not to.

> I'm running named as a local forwarding nameserver on this box and
> I can only assume it's some kind of dns problem.
Like, for instance, the client is trying to look up the name of the
server, but that name is not known by your local DNS server without help
from the outside world?
If that is the case, (test with nslookup) it is a fairly simple thing to
add that name to your local DNS server, and will speed things up, anyway

> Again, samba appeared to work ok under debian 2.1.
> It's samba 2.0.5a.
It could well be a samba-specific problem, but I'll leave that to people
who know the differences between samba versions.

-Greg