[plug] ISPs not routing traffic on certain ports...

Gavin Rogers grogers at greenwood.wa.edu.au
Mon Aug 30 22:39:33 WST 1999

> Hello Pluggers
>
> Has anyone heard or experienced any ISP's that dont route traffic on
> some tcp/ip ports (ie port 23)?
>
> I discovered one ISP that is doing it and I am trying to reason out why
> they would do it, and I would like to hear of any experience you might
> of had in this area.

Yeah. Quite a few ISPs seem to do that now, blocking incoming access to their
customers machines - usually on telnet, smb and ftp ports, sometimes the usual
BackOrifice and Netbus ports as well. Probably done because some operating
systems have networked file sharing that is easily convinced to give anonymous
users on the internet complete access to it's hard disk :-)

I just put a telnet daemon on a non standard port to get around these
firewalls when I need remote access of my machine. (i.e. telnet myhost 5555)

Regards,
Gavin
Rogers