[plug] ISPs not routing traffic on certain ports...

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Tue Aug 31 09:48:46 WST 1999

>> Has anyone heard or experienced any ISP's that dont route traffic on
>> some tcp/ip ports (ie port 23)?
>>
>Yeah. Quite a few ISPs seem to do that now, blocking incoming access to
their
>customers machines - usually on telnet, smb and ftp ports, sometimes the
usual
>BackOrifice and Netbus ports as well. Probably done because some operating
>systems have networked file sharing that is easily convinced to give
anonymous
>users on the internet complete access to it's hard disk :-)

...and telnet traffic to port 23 (or any other port for that matter) is
sent "in clear"

>I just put a telnet daemon on a non standard port to get around these
>firewalls when I need remote access of my machine. (i.e. telnet myhost 5555)

Hmmm.... I prefer to use SSH instead of telnet so that at least my sessions
are encrypted. Many ISP's have SSH installed, though fewer (none that I
know of) demand that customers use it. (SSH on a linux box check out:
http://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/ssh.html and
http://www.wcug.wwu.edu/sloth/userguide/ssh.html  As a client for Doze32
machines I prefer Tera Term + SSH extension, available from
http://www.cs.nwu.edu/info/godzilla/ssh/ although some prefer PuTTY,
available at http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty.html)

CU
Steve