[plug] New Toys

Gavin Tweedie tweedie at nw.com.au
Tue Aug 31 15:15:24 WST 1999

> A friend of mine informs me that a kernel compile on his 386 with 4meg RAM
> took about three _days_.

My first linux box...a 386sx33 with 4meg ram and 75meg hdd took about 3
days...then i aborted it. Kernel compile on a 386 with no maths copro and
only 4 meg of ram doesnt work too well...and when your swap is only just
faster than a floppy disk well yeh go figure :)

> He described the moment after it had finished compiling (for the first
> time) thusly: "... and then suddenly - the disk thrashing stopped..."

sounds familar. I think I stopped it so I could get a good nights sleep,
from memory.

Gavin