[plug] New Toys

Dave Cook davecook at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 31 21:06:16 WST 1999

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Gavin Tweedie wrote:

> > A friend of mine informs me that a kernel compile on his 386 with 4meg RAM
> > took about three _days_.
>
> My first linux box...a 386sx33 with 4meg ram and 75meg hdd took about 3
> days...then i aborted it. Kernel compile on a 386 with no maths copro and
> only 4 meg of ram doesnt work too well...and when your swap is only just
> faster than a floppy disk well yeh go figure :)

Just for interests sake, my m68k (16Mb ram) box used to compile a 2.1.x
kernel in about 14 hours, I could cross compile the same kernel on my
p2/266 oc'd to 300 in about 14 Minutes.

> > He described the moment after it had finished compiling (for the first
> > time) thusly: "... and then suddenly - the disk thrashing stopped..."
>
> sounds familar. I think I stopped it so I could get a good nights sleep,
> from memory.

Bah,  I used to sleep in the same room with my m68k box thrashing
away doing debian package building and kernel builds overnight (xfree
3.3.3 (libc 5) took about 68 hours to build.  You get used to the noise
after a while, and dont need a heater in the room :)

Cheers,

Dave