[plug] debian cd's

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Tue Aug 31 18:13:34 WST 1999

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Brendan Whelan wrote:
> I want to roll my own debian cd, but wondered if there was an easy way to
> extract just (say) the i386 and common parts of the distro from an ftp
> site.
Not sure about the extraction, but at this point I really should point out
that Debian provides tools for doing exactly what you plan on doing. You
should go find that package first, if you haven't already, and it may well
have something in the documentation to answer your question. No promises
of course.
Failing that, it should be fairly easy to work extract the right packages
just by wgetting the appropriate regexps. You just need to get the right
package files, and I believe the distro-making tools will work from that,
iirc. One problem is that it will take up more than one CD if you want the
whole i386/main distro, and you won't get an installable CD unless you pay
attention to the base files/disk-images/packages stuff and make your
CD image bootable. Not sure how much the Debian tools do for you, but I
think it's most of this. Again, those docs are probably your best source.

-Greg