[plug] Printer problem

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Thu Dec 2 09:36:26 WST 1999

> On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Peter Cooper wrote:
>
> > looked at my printcap file, it looks like:
> >
> > lp:\
> >
> > 	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
> > 	:mx#0:\
> > 	:sh:\
> > 	:lp=/dev/lpi:
>
> Did you cut&paste that? '/dev/lpi' looks weird. Does it exist?
> Should be /dev/lp0 or /dev/lp1 normally.

lp1 is a remanent for pre 6.0 RedHat releases. If the printer is on the
first (and for most PC's only) printer port then that should be lp0. I think
this might be something that was changed in the 2.2 series of kernels

> Also, there is nothing there to tell it how to filter the input.
> Unix program expect a postscript printer, so you need a filter
> to convert it.

Yep a filter will help you greatly here. But if the port is wrong then a
filter is going to accomplish squat. *grin*