[plug] rpms and dependencies

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Dec 2 16:53:50 WST 1999

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 04:05:38PM +0800, Barbara Robson wrote:
> > Hi Barbra,
> >
> > What the system is telling you is that you haven't installed a library that
> > your program depends on.  Thus you must install the required library before
> > you can install the software you currently want to install...
> >
> > best bet is to find out what rpm contains the library (in this case
> > libncurses.so.3.0) and then install it, then your install should go fine...
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > David Buddrige... 8-)
>
> No, as I said in my original post, it looks like the library *is*
> there, just not where the package expects it to be.

As far as I understand shared libraries, it's not (usually :) a matter
of where the _package_ expects the library to be - the program (frotz
in this case) tries to link to a certain shared library
libncurses.so.3.0.

If the library cannot be found in any of the directories listed in
/etc/ld.so.conf *and* is not in any of the directories in
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH then the system will chuck an error and program will
not run.

> A newer version of the ncurses library exists, and the older version
> that the package expects to find appears to be in a different
> directory.

Check that that directory is listed in /etc/ld.so.conf. If it is not,
add it, then run (as root) "ldconfig -v". You should then see the
appropriate library scroll past (along with all the other system shared
libraries)

> So, to restate my question, do I need to set a symbolic
> link pointing to the newer version of the library, to the old
> version in another directory, or do something else?

Try both.

(no, really, I'm serious :)

> Cheers,
>
> Barbara

Hope that helped a little.

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

35. Your husband tells you he's had the beard for 2 months.