[plug] rpms and dependencies

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Thu Dec 2 17:19:35 WST 1999

Peter Wright wrote:

> As far as I understand shared libraries, it's not (usually :) a matter
> of where the _package_ expects the library to be - the program (frotz
> in this case) tries to link to a certain shared library
> libncurses.so.3.0.

I have noticed, and I'm known to be wrong, that some distros base thier
dependency info on thier package list.
ie, I can download make and install gtk1.2.3 but some programs I try to
install with a package manager will barf because there is no indicator
in the package management system they are installed. Even if ldconfig
shows them there.

You can get around that by forcing the install.
Well my package manager has that option anyway, just ignore the messages
about breaking dependencies..

--
Brad....
"The ultimate result is that some innovations that would