[plug] rpms and dependencies

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Thu Dec 2 20:20:38 WST 1999

> > Hi Barbra,
> >
> > What the system is telling you is that you haven't installed a library that
> > your program depends on.  Thus you must install the required library before
> > you can install the software you currently want to install...
> >
> > best bet is to find out what rpm contains the library (in this case
> > libncurses.so.3.0) and then install it, then your install should go fine...
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > David Buddrige... 8-)
>
> No, as I said in my original post, it looks like the library *is*
> there, just not where the package expects it to be.  A newer version of
> the ncurses library exists, and the older version that the package
> expects to find appears to be in a different directory.  So, to restate
> my question, do I need to set a symbolic link pointing to the newer
> version of the library, to the old version in another directory, or do
> something else?

I'd try the symlink and see what happens.

As I mentioned before, building from source on your system remains a
reasonable choice, and if you do it with rpm then rpm's catalogue of what
you have remains current.

btw I should have mentioned, src.rpms contain the tarball; if you find the
rpm build impossibly difficult (I've only found that for a couple of
trivial rpms), building from the tarball is still a pretty simple
desperation meansure.
--
Cheers
John Summerfield