[plug] rpms and dependencies

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Thu Dec 2 20:25:54 WST 1999

> Peter Wright wrote:
> >
> > As far as I understand shared libraries, it's not (usually :) a matter
> > of where the _package_ expects the library to be - the program (frotz
> > in this case) tries to link to a certain shared library
> > libncurses.so.3.0.
> >
> I have noticed, and I'm known to be wrong, that some distros base thier
> dependency info on thier package list.
> ie, I can download make and install gtk1.2.3 but some programs I try to
> install with a package manager will barf because there is no indicator
> in the package management system they are installed. Even if ldconfig
> shows them there.

rpm likes you to have the version the package was built with;-). It
generally reckons a later version of the same thing's fine.

Some authors seem to like to add "requires" statements to ensure that
something (often a file) exists.

> You can get around that by forcing the install.
> Well my package manager has that option anyway, just ignore the messages
> about breaking dependencies..

I sometimes do that too. Sometimes it works, sometimes the program fails.
It seems that rpm itself uses a heap of things and its rpm mentions them
by name. However, rpm will work fine without them until you try to build
rpms.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield