[plug] telnet on Mandrake

Kenworthy Family billk at opera.iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 3 15:30:27 WST 1999

Security feature or bug? - to me if it stops you doing something that up to now
has been normal practice, and have not clearly, and easily findably documented
the fact, then its a bug!!!  I have no evidence other than telnet into the box
not working that any extra security has been implemented.  As well, telnet does
connect, brings up the escape key message, then disconnects - where's the
security there unless disabling a very useful feature of a networking operating
system is security - may as well pull the network cable.  The above winge
becomes irrelevant if it is Mandrakes normal precise to disable telnet access -
but their FAQ website etc makes no real fuss over it being any more secure than
other distro's - or appears to mention telnet in particular.

BillK