[plug] telnet on Mandrake

Colin Rothnie colinr at tiwest.com.au
Fri Dec 3 16:34:41 WST 1999

Firstly - sorry to all those Pine users if this is HTML.  I have been trying
desperately to turn it off, but haven't found the switch yet.  (Ever since
they converted the mail server to exchange.)

Bill, I take it you are not trying to log in as root.  I am occasionally
stumped when I can't get a telnet connection, and then realise that I was
attempting to log in as root.  I have forgotten the details, but have a
recollection that this particular limitation wasn't in hosts.deny.  My
experience has only been Red Hat though.

If this is the case, just create a normal user account, telnet in with that,
then switch to root with su.

I hope this suggestion isn't too simplistic, but you seem to be getting
disheartened.
Colin Rothnie