[plug] MTA Comparison & Debian OpenSSH

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sat Dec 4 08:42:46 WST 1999

> I understand Postfix is pretty much a drop in replacement for sendmail so
"I understand..."

You don't know for certain. I don't know for certain.

> I doubt it would be a very time consuming task to migrate if someone
> wanted to.  I've played around with Postfix replacing smail and there
> didn't seem to be any real problems, plus the configuration options are
> trivially easy.

My point is that there is no point in changing if you have a working
setup. Changing requires
1	Finding out just what IS necessary to switch
2	Planning the cutover
3	Planning the recovery if it fails
4	Spending time learning another product.

Doubtless there are other things, but I make the point: staying with a
working setup requires no extra work whereas changing does require extra
work; quite a bit if your business depends on getting it right.

You'd need to be sure that the benefits will outweigh the costs and risks
before embarking on the move.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield