[plug] MTA Comparison & Debian OpenSSH

Christian christian at global.net.au
Sun Dec 5 12:17:04 WST 1999

John Summerfield wrote:

> > I understand Postfix is pretty much a drop in replacement for sendmail so
> "I understand..."
>
> You don't know for certain. I don't know for certain.

I've heard numerous people say it and I've read it in several online
articles and they *could* all be lying (you're right, I don't know for
certain) but I'm willing to put a reasonable amount of confidence in
something I've heard many different times from many different people.

Having said that, Postfix was pretty much a drop-in replacement for
smail (in my experience) which is mostly a drop-in replacement for
sendmail so, while I don't know for certain, I'm reasonably confident.

> My point is that there is no point in changing if you have a working
> setup. Changing requires
> 1       Finding out just what IS necessary to switch
> 2       Planning the cutover
> 3       Planning the recovery if it fails
> 4       Spending time learning another product.
> Doubtless there are other things, but I make the point: staying with a
> working setup requires no extra work whereas changing does require extra
> work; quite a bit if your business depends on getting it right.
> You'd need to be sure that the benefits will outweigh the costs and risks
> before embarking on the move.

Absolutely.  But in the case that I'm currently concerned with, it is an
entirely new installation.  Therefore it seems worthwhile to explore
options other than sendmail (which is somewhat bloated and has a dubious
history in security) before committing to any particular MTA.

(Anyone with comments/feedback/experiences on other MTAs then please
feel free to email me on or off list as appropriate.)

Regards,

Christian.

--
To the systems programmer, users and applications serve only to
provide a test load.