[plug] MTA Comparison & Debian OpenSSH

Christian christian at global.net.au
Mon Dec 6 19:58:57 WST 1999

John Summerfield wrote:

> > I've heard numerous people say it and I've read it in several online
> > articles and they *could* all be lying (you're right, I don't know for
> > certain) but I'm willing to put a reasonable amount of confidence in
> > something I've heard many different times from many different people.
> >
> > Having said that, Postfix was pretty much a drop-in replacement for
> > smail (in my experience) which is mostly a drop-in replacement for
> > sendmail so, while I don't know for certain, I'm reasonably confident.
>
> My point is that one would be foolish to bet one's business on hearsay.
> And, yes, I know there are fools who would.

Listening to other people's opinions is not synonymous with "betting
one's business on hearsay".  Believe it or not, there is something in
between!  Having said that, as I just indicated, I was basing my
statements not only on numerous harmonious opinions ("hearsay") but also
on my own experience.

I have to say that I think anyone who does not pay close attention to
the opinions of others on the software that they use (particularly in a
community like the Linux/Free Software community) is at the very least
very, very foolish.  It's impossible for any user (be they home user or
admin) to trial every single possible piece of software.  Therefore
obtaining and considering the opinions of other users can be
particularly valuable, which was the point of my original post.

> Prudence advises that people considering changing their software must
> check these things themselves, to the point they can say, "I know." "But
> he said..." just does not count.

I somewhat agree with you on this point... but I still believe that
considering other people's opinions is likely to be more beneficial than
ignoring them when evaluating new software.

Regards,

Christian.

--
Sharing of software was not limited to our particular community; it is
as old as computers, just as sharing of recipes is as old as cooking.