[plug] MTA Comparison & Debian OpenSSH

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Mon Dec 6 21:58:02 WST 1999

> > Prudence advises that people considering changing their software must
> > check these things themselves, to the point they can say, "I know." "But
> > he said..." just does not count.
>
> I somewhat agree with you on this point... but I still believe that
> considering other people's opinions is likely to be more beneficial than
> ignoring them when evaluating new software.

I suppose it depends on the help offered during the implementation stage
that determines the worth of the advice given. If for example during the
installation you come up with a problem that you just can't solve (even by
RTFM !!!) and you ask a question of the original advice giver. If they:

a) Say that they have never heard of the main config file you are talking
about

b) Tell you "oh yes, you need to use such and such a switch".

then you can say you "know" *grin*.

Take all advice with a pinch of salt as they are always stated with the
biases and background of the person who says them. If necessary do your
homework on the person if you don't know if there advice is true. I'd agree
here with Christian that advice given can be very useful, but all these
things are like your mothers cooking. You pick out and eat the good stuff,
and when she is not looking you feed the rest to the dogs.

My advice. Do your own cooking if you don't like what's being served !!!!

Sleep depravation is kicking in and I think I need a coffee ....

Michael Hunt