[plug] MTA Comparison & Debian OpenSSH

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue Dec 7 06:25:59 WST 1999

> I have to say that I think anyone who does not pay close attention to
> the opinions of others on the software that they use (particularly in a
> community like the Linux/Free Software community) is at the very least
> very, very foolish.  It's impossible for any user (be they home user or
> admin) to trial every single possible piece of software.  Therefore
> obtaining and considering the opinions of other users can be
> particularly valuable, which was the point of my original post.

There is a considerable difference between installing software "because x
said it's great," and evaluating it for that reason.

To be sure, evaluating may well include installing it, but NOT on a
production machine where it can do damage.

However, unless you actually have a problem that the software could fix.
the whole exercise is pretty pointless. In my environment, sendmail never
features in any resource usage - nfs often does. So do my perl scripts and
my java programs. As far as home users go, I used to have a lot of mail -
I have seen over 300 a day coming in.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield