[plug] Re: telnet on mandrake - solved, thanks

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue Dec 7 06:30:47 WST 1999

> > Thanks to all those who helped - problem solved by installing the telnet
> > server package.  I was fooled into thinking it had been installed ok
> > because all the setup info (inet.conf etc) was present.  Must be a
> > problem with the Mandrake install package list for the combination I
> > used.  I dont think it was for security reasons as the alternative ssh
> > had not been installed, and does not come on the disk (that I can
> > recognise anyway)
> >
> > That kde desktop is very seductive - but ultimately I wont be able to
> > use it in anger because it is too resource hungry, even on a K6-2/400.
> > vmware becomes so slow running win98 that its all but unusable besides
> > other problems so it'll be back to windowmaker soon - sigh
>
> It sounds to me more like a memory issue. I have a Cleron 300A (running 450)
> and 128 M of RAM (PC 100 with the bus running at that speed) and VMware is a
> treat.
>
> What have you got in the box? 64 would just barley pass ....

kde and gnome are just fine on my PII-233, 64 Mb. My daughter, Michelle,
uses gnome on a P133, 32 Mbyte. gnome itself is okay, and she's been using
it for quite a while with WP. However, things get a bit tedious with
StarOffice.

We have another machine, 686-200, 48 Mbytes. Runs KDE fine.

However, if you want two operating systems, you DO have to have the RAM to
support them.
--
Cheers
John Summerfield