[plug] Printer problem (still!)

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Tue Dec 7 11:11:12 WST 1999

> I posted a very similar if not identical  RH printer problem to the list
> some months back and thrashed about trying to find a solution.
> As a novice
> user I found a point is reached where frustration out weighs any likely
> value in the learning experience.
> I finally caved and reinstalled linux not very elegant but it did
> work (Old
> strategy I learnt using Windows). There is no guarantee but given the time
> spent so far its possibly worth try.

Here is a simple no brainer, postscript use my windows drivers printcap
entry. This with Samba should just about cover any model printer.

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL POSTSCRIPT 300x300 a3 {} PostScript Default {}
lpraw:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lpraw:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lpraw/filter:

And I set this up with the redhat printool on a 6.0 box.

Another entry is there for when I print to the printer directly on the linux
box, using the very nicely provided filter for my HP Deskjet.

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL cdj550 300x300 a4 {} DeskJet550 3 1
lphpdj01:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lphpdj01:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\