[plug] telnet^H^H^H^H^H^HOpenSSH on Mandrake

Leon Brooks leonb at bounce.networx.net.au
Tue Dec 7 12:13:23 WST 1999

Kenworthy Family wrote:
>     I have just (well third time in three days) installed Mandrake 6.1
> and have not killed it this time around.  I have a problem in not being
> able to telnet into the box, either from another machine or using
> localhost or the machine name to itself.

Telnet-server is a separate package under 6.1; plug the CD in and mount
it, then type:

    rpm -i /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/telnet-server-0.12-10mdk.i586.rpm

Judicious use of the Tab key to expand path elements will save much
typing (/m~c~M~R~tel~s~ in this case, ~ standing for tab).

Unless you need to access the machine from Windows, use OpenSSH instead.
It's much more secure and can be automated and configured much more
flexibly than Telnet. RPMs are available and are drop-ins on Mandrake
6.1 (except you need to install the openssl library first on the basic
distribution - it's also available as an RPM).