[plug] telnet on Mandrake

Christian christian at global.net.au
Fri Dec 3 15:53:51 WST 1999

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Craig Foster wrote:

How unfortune. :P

> I agree with the security features coming out in newer versions of Linux.
> However, I think it was LinuxWorld which disagreed with Red Hat's decision
> to copy Mandrake and OpenLinux in adding a non-root user upon first-time
> installation for RH6.1.

Do you mean giving them the option to create their own account at install
time? (I know Debian has done this for quite a while.)  If so, that's
worthwhile but not really much of a security feature!  Improving Linux's
security is really not that much a matter of adding features but rather
improving configurations and code auditing -- neither of which appears to
be making any great progress.

Regards,

Christian.