Building RPMS (Was Re: [plug] Recompilation fo the whole box and fluffy dice... )

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Wed Dec 8 07:57:34 WST 1999

> Well you seem to contradict yourself .... first you are carefull enough to

I do sometimes;-)

> check the source/makefiles for security problems BUT then you don't check the
> .specs for issues ???

rpm --rebuild does not facilitate reading spec files;0)

> > The truth is that building an RPM should not install it on the build host.
> > I have seen at least one RPM that tried to.
>
> Okay so we both agree that builing an rpm doesn't install it.   If the srpm
> has an issue then contact the maintainer for the srpm and supply a patch.

I see a difference between 'should not' (my words) and 'does not' (yours).

I have had an rpm that did indeed try to update the running system as part
of the build process. This alone invalidates your 'does not.'

I've also seen rpm try to pick stuff out of the running system; it had a
probel as it wasn't installed;-)

> > I regularly report problems to the developer list. bugzilla is less
> > convenient:
>
> The deval list and bugzilla serve different purposes. They are npt
> interchangeable.

I appreciate that. However, last I saw was that problems with rawhide
should be reported to devel. I generally reproduce the problem with
rawhide versions.

> What is the point of you ping ???
> Are you trying to show that you can't use bugzilla if you modem isn't active?
> or are you having problems with your masquerading ???
masq is fine.
I attend to email offline. I'm rarely at my computer when it's online.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield