Building RPMS (Was Re: [plug] Recompilation fo the whole box and fluffy dice... )

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sun Dec 12 20:07:10 WST 1999

> > > The truth is that building an RPM should not install it on the build host
> .
> > > I have seen at least one RPM that tried to.
> >
> > Okay so we both agree that builing an rpm doesn't install it.   If the srpm
> > has an issue then contact the maintainer for the srpm and supply a patch.
>
> I see a difference between 'should not' (my words) and 'does not' (yours).
>
> I have had an rpm that did indeed try to update the running system as part
> of the build process. This alone invalidates your 'does not.'

here is an rpm that illustrates my point:
egcs-1.1.2-24.src.rpm

+ patch -p1 -s
+ echo 'Patch #7:'
Patch #7:
+ patch -p1 -s
+ mkdir compat
+ tar xzf /u02/summer/redhat/SOURCES/egcs-libstdc++-compat.tar.gz -C compat
+ cd gcc
+ autoconf
+ cd ..
+ exit 0
Executing: %build
+ umask 022
++ mkdir -p /tmp/egcs
++ echo /tmp/egcs
+ cd /tmp/egcs
+ cd egcs-1.1.2
+ rm -rf obj-i586-linux
+ mkdir obj-i586-linux
+ cd obj-i586-linux
+ ../configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --enable-threads
i586-redhat-linux
Created "Makefile" in /tmp/egcs/egcs-1.1.2/obj-i586-linux using "mh-frag"
and "mt-frag"
mkdir: cannot make directory `/usr/share/texmf/xdvi': Permission denied
kpsestat: No such file or directory
chmod: too few arguments
Try `chmod --help' for more information.
cp: missing destination file
Try `cp --help' for more information.
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexupd: /usr/share/texmf/xdvi not a directory.

[summer at emu summer]$

This package was put together by Red Hat Software.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield