[plug] Linux on an IBM PS/2

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Wed Dec 8 08:08:06 WST 1999

> I was wondering if anyone has any experience installing linux (of any flavor)
>  on a 486 IBM PS/2 box?
>
> A guy I work with is wanting to do that.  His little homework project is a pr
> ecursor to our company distributing a lot of our stuff on more modern hardwar
> e, with linux! :), he's just trying to use what he's got.
>
> His other problem is connecting his home PS/2 box to his windows box which ha
> s the only available cdrom for the install.  I've heard that 'PLIP', a parall
> el port connection sw might do it.  (he does not have the two boxes networked
>  right now)

PS/2 boxes are really easy to open; I saw a demo when they were first
released. You open the box, and inside there's a tool that you use to take
the rest of it apart. I don't recall about screws and disk drives
though;-).

Borrowing the CD drive may be the simplest option (warning: the PS/2 may
be all SCSI).

> He's only got 8M ram on the PS/2, so an older version of linux might be neede
> d.

I recent version should be okay, but forget gnome and KDE. XFree won't be
very inspiring either.

> I've searched the web.  But I've heard that the PS/2 might be an MCA architec
> ture instead of ISA, which complicates. (admitting: I'd never heard of 'MCA'
> before this...)

MCA is microchannel architecture. It IS supported now. It's a big
improvement on ISA, but expensive.

> Appreciate any advice on recycling this old hardware and proving that linux c
> an be forgiving of old systems.

I was going to offer the use of my Red hat 4.2 CD (or a copy), but then I
remembered;0). Your time zone suggests you're a little bit further away
than Freo.

I've used RHL from this in 8 Mbytes.

--
Cheers