[plug] Re: Building RPMS

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue Dec 14 03:08:18 WST 1999

> So basiclly as I see it we've said.
>
> Building RPMS, SHOULDn't install files/update a running system BUT does, when
> things havn't been donr properly.  RedHat even break the rules.
>
> Before BUILDIng RPMS the sources, makefiles, patches and .spec file(s) should
> be checked, for security / system confilct issues.

I say;
Do not build RPMs as root.
If you're sufficiently concerned, create a separate account for building
RPMs.

wrt that particular RPM, I really don't know just what was going on; it
actually required one of the tetex rpms; identify and install that and
that problem went away. This particular software could well do something
silly in the .deb form too.
--
Cheers
John Summerfield