[plug] Motherboard/SCSI/Kernel probem: where next?

Christian christian at global.net.au
Tue Dec 14 09:32:30 WST 1999

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Leon Brooks wrote:

> Christian wrote:
> There are two different modules in the 2.2.13 source, one named
> sum53c8xx and one named ncr53c8xx. Do the kernel messages tell you which
> is being loaded? If you can boot from other than the SCSI controller,
> you can play with modprobe and different modules and addresses to see
> what happens, then force the issue with a kernel "append=" line from
> LILO.

I've tried combinations with one and then the other and also both (as
recommended in the kernel documentation) with exactly the same result.
Also, as I said before, they're not modules but rather linked into the
kernel.  In the end I emailed the author of the driver and he's put me in
touch with someone else who may be able to help.  It appears to be an
obscure but well-known problem with this combination of motherboard, SCSI
controller and case.

> Does the BIOS give you much control over the PCI buss? If so, try
> fiddling with some of the BIOS parameters, as it may be a PCI thing
> rather than software.

Hmmm... I've had a look and can't see anything obvious to tweak although
if you have any suggestions then I'd probably be willing to try. :-)

Regards,

Christian.