[plug] Motherboard/SCSI/Kernel probem: where next?

Leon Brooks leonb at bounce.networx.net.au
Mon Dec 13 18:57:24 WST 1999

Christian wrote:
> I'm still stuck with this problem of the kernel and the Intel Nightshade
> (N440BX) motherboard.  I've tried various combinations of kernel
> configurations but no luck... On boot while initialising the SCSI adaptor
> (NCR 53c875, SYMBIOS compatible) it just times out and loops endlessly.

There are two different modules in the 2.2.13 source, one named
sum53c8xx and one named ncr53c8xx. Do the kernel messages tell you which
is being loaded? If you can boot from other than the SCSI controller,
you can play with modprobe and different modules and addresses to see
what happens, then force the issue with a kernel "append=" line from
LILO.

Does the BIOS give you much control over the PCI buss? If so, try
fiddling with some of the BIOS parameters, as it may be a PCI thing
rather than software.

---
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee. When in trouble,
when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout. The two great secrets
of success are: don't tell anyone everything that you know.