[plug] local DoS with ping -R

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Tue Dec 14 09:57:33 WST 1999

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, John Summerfield wrote:

> > On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Christian wrote:
> > I found many of our online-games-playing customers were using it to cheat,

Actually I wrote that, not Christian.

> Pray they don't learn perl then. Or Java.

Or learn how to send large files over udp with netcat.
Or ...

My point is there are many ways to flood a system, but since most people I
have to deal with are what bugtraq calls "script kiddies" I fix 90% of the
problem by restricting access to the commonly used tools, like ping -s.
The other 10% of the problems are solved by playing BOFH.

 - Matt