[plug] local DoS with ping -R

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Wed Dec 15 04:44:13 WST 1999

> On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, John Summerfield wrote:
>
> > > On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Christian wrote:
> > > I found many of our online-games-playing customers were using it to cheat
> ,
>
> Actually I wrote that, not Christian.

You might note my email client does not say WHO is being quoted.

> > Pray they don't learn perl then. Or Java.
>
> Or learn how to send large files over udp with netcat.
> Or ...
>
> My point is there are many ways to flood a system, but since most people I
> have to deal with are what bugtraq calls "script kiddies" I fix 90% of the
> problem by restricting access to the commonly used tools, like ping -s.
> The other 10% of the problems are solved by playing BOFH.

Yes, I know about the script kiddies - they attach me regularly; so far
they just bounce off.

There are also their masters, who write the scripts.

In your case, a ping-wrapper (and other tools -wrapper) might be useful;
to identify who tries to abuse ping (and other tools).

--
Cheers
John Summerfield