[plug] FYI: N440BX Nightshade MB & Astor case with Linux Symbios SCSI

Christian christian at global.net.au
Tue Dec 14 13:28:59 WST 1999

Hi all,

For anyone who is interested (and to hopefully save some agony for anyone
searching the web for an answer to this problem in the future), I'm
posting how I fixed the problem with the Intel 440BX Nightshade MB, Astor
case and Symbios SCSI controller.

In communications with the author of the driver (Gerard Roudier) he
suggested the problem was to do with the way the Linux SCSI layer probes
for devices at boot time.  He then suggested I speak to Leonard Zubkoff
(from VA Linux) who he thought would be able to help me.  Leonard replied
to my email within 10 minutes (don't you love being able to directly email
the people who wrote the software you're using?) with the solution.

His first suggestion was to upgrade the Astor backplane to a more recent
firmware, however, reading the material on Intel's site suggested that
this wasn't necessarily a simple process.  His alternative suggestion was
to change the configuration jumper on the backplane to the "force update"
position.  Upon trying this second solution it worked first time. :-)

Regards,

Christian.