[plug] new PLUG machine

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Wed Dec 15 09:54:49 WST 1999

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Leon Brooks wrote:

> * Matt has obtained a SparcStation and bandwidth for independently
> hosting
>   PLUG.

Some details:

It's a Sparc Classic with 32MB of RAM, and runs on a "MicroSparc" CPU that
attains 50 BogoMips (not that that means anything)

It is an identical machine to vger.rutgers.edu, which hosts some of the
largest mailing lists in the world (including linux-kernel, linux-net etc)

It is also identical to cleo.murdoch.edu.au - Murdoch's first student
general access machine.

The plan is to host the website and mailing lists there, and also to add
user accounts for all plug members, for purposes of providing an
@plug.linux.org.au email address, and associated
http://plug.linux.org.au/~username/ webpage, or perhaps extensive ytalk
sessions.

The only 2 stipulations are:

1. Bandwidth is being provided for free, please don't abuse it.
   Also, although it is connected to the WAIX, it is only by a 256kb link,
   so please try not to throttle that link with large downloads.
2. The Sparc Classic is a fairly old machine, and has CPU speed equivalent
   to a 486, so try not to hog the CPU while other people are trying to
   use it.

Those of you that have paid their membership fees will receive an email
from me within the next few days asking what you would like for
username/password. (First come, first served for the more popular
usernames)

Comments/suggestions about what else we can do with this machine welcome.
Also, suggestions for a name would be good. :)
At the moment it's called canopus, because it is the second of 2 sun
machines I have - Sirius and Canopus - the 2 brightest stars (suns) in the
sky... :)

My suggestion is that we name it (and any machines we may gain in the
future) after species of penguins... :)
(Emperor, King, Royal, Fairy etc)
A quick search for "species of penguins" on altavista brought up:
http://users.iafrica.com/b/bo/boulders/penguin_species.htm

Anybody agree? Any other suggestions?

 - Matt