[plug] Debian on P90

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Dec 16 12:06:49 WST 1999

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 10:47:40AM +0800, Christian wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Steve Grasso wrote:
> > >The Debian boot disks are very sensitive to even the slightest
> > >error.
> >
> > Now that it's been mentioned, I remember having Debian boot floppy
> > probs with a different machine some time ago. Re-writing to a
> > different floppy-disk fixed it that time -- I assumed a dud disk,
> > rather than, what?  tight Debian floppy-image
> > resolution/sector-indexing?
>
> I've done about a dozen Debian rescue disks in the last couple of weeks
> and many of these with custom kernels and I haven't had a single fault!
> Just luck of the draw I guess...

Just to offer a contrasting view, I've had nothing _but_ hassles
trying to boot from Debian floppies. To say that they're sensitive is
probably understating it a tad - "precious" might be more accurate. :)

Many of the floppies I tried using were less than entirely new, which
is probably fair enough, but there was that entire box of 10 brand new
floppies, all of which failed as Debian floppies and which the first
ones I tried worked fine as OpenBSD/FreeBSD boot floppies.  Similarly,
the old disks that all failed for me with Debian about a year and a
half ago worked perfectly first time for a Slackware install. *shrug*

I did manage to successfully boot from a Debian floppy _once_, in an
attempt to install Debian on a co-worker's laptop. Unfortunately had
pcmcia problems (which RH had no problem with, the bastard :), so
couldn't install from network and ended up doing RH instead (possibly
the fact that a RH6.0 CD was available clinched the issue there :).
I was most naffed - I'd been looking forward to demonstrating how
funky the Debian package management system was compared to RedHat's
but oh well...

> Regards,
>
> Christian.

Pete the Waffler.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
To be rich is not the end, but only a change of worries.