[plug] PERL book

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Fri Dec 17 07:21:43 WST 1999

> <snippet>
> > One hopes you're going to learn programming first!
> </snippet>
> What exactly do you mean by that?

You are unlikely to learn any good programming habits from Perl;-) There
are too many smart but obscure ways of doing things. One of the most
important features of a good program (apart from working!) is that its
intent be readily discernable to humans. Most programs spend most of their
lives in maintenance. All the programs you use are in maintenance; if
their code is difficult to comprehend, bet their maintainers will make
mistakes.

I rather think Perl is easier to learn if you can already program in other
languages.

otoh I don't recommend C for anything either, except perhaps the purpose
for which it was designed.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield