[plug] Online machinename vote

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Fri Dec 17 15:36:39 WST 1999

> On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, John Summerfield wrote:
>
> > White text on black is illegible here.
>
> Okay It is now your browser defaults.
>
> > What IS the voting system? FPP? Exhaustive?
>
> ... Basically I was going to colate all the votes (sometime on Tuseday as
> voting stops at 1700 Monday) tally all the options and the highest number win
> s.
>
> In the event of a Tie I think Matt should be able to pick from the winning
> options.
>
> Having multiple passes will only slow down the event.

Multiple passes ensures that the one most people want wins. First Past the
Post could result in a win for something only ten percent of the people
want (and most likely result in something wanted by a minority).

Let me illustrate with a ridiculous example; a bit like the NSW cricket
team at present;-)

Choices are A, B, C and D.
A, B,  get one vote, C gets two, D gets three, You'd declare D the winner.

However, I know those who voted A or B would both choose C in a second
ballot. C proves the most popular choice;-)

I'll leave you to it; as a not-paid-up-person I don't get to vote anyway;
I just like to see things done properly.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield