[plug] Online machinename vote

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Dec 17 16:30:35 WST 1999

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, John Summerfield wrote:

> Multiple passes ensures that the one most people want wins. First Past the
> Post could result in a win for something only ten percent of the people
> want (and most likely result in something wanted by a minority).

It would also be well into the next week if not later before we got a winner.

> Let me illustrate with a ridiculous example; a bit like the NSW cricket
> team at present;-)
>
> Choices are A, B, C and D.
> A, B,  get one vote, C gets two, D gets three, You'd declare D the winner.
>
> However, I know those who voted A or B would both choose C in a second
> ballot. C proves the most popular choice;-)

But maybe one of the people that voted for C now thinks D is a better choice
resulting in a tie.

It I had time I would have done a rating system

Give each option a score from 0-n add all the scores and the highest score
wins.  This would've been far fairer (sp?) than a straight vote.

> I'll leave you to it; as a not-paid-up-person I don't get to vote anyway;
> I just like to see things done properly.

This is properly.

Yours Tony.