[plug] Security Info

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Fri Dec 24 23:18:20 WST 1999

At 06:49 25/12/99 +0800, Garth Atkinson wrote:

>I for one always prefer to see the various invocations of ipchains
>because I find it informative and precise. The author of this article
>recommends using some GUI called GFCC. Sooner or later the firewall will
>have to be administered without a graphical environment and then first
>hand knowledge of command line syntax is invaluable. GUI-based admin
>tools suck.

I found GFCC to be quite useful.  It didn't help me understand ip chains
(even the how-to does a pretty poor job of that imho) but once I knew
moreorless what to do the gui saved me some time and even helped me to
solve some of the errors I was getting with Anthony's/Leon's set-up.  If
you don't llike admin guis don't use them.  I find some of them helpful,
particularly when a quick change in a gui saves me from editing 2 or 3 text
files.  As for the treatment of ip chains in the article he gave lots of
examples in the link he gives.  All you had to do was use GFCC to see them ;).

skribe
	62.0% pure
	38.0% corrupt
	36.3636363636364% insane.