[plug] LINUX IS ONLY FOR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS

Rob Hall rob at hcm.iinet.net.au
Wed Feb 10 09:28:04 WST 1999

Pretty close to my experience too.  However, I find that you can set up a
Linux box to be pretty much tamper proof.  If anything does go wrong you can
normally fix it via telnet - a huge bonus for any sysadmin!

I get service call after service call (good for business I guess) for
Windows boxes, and very rarely have to service a linux box.

So I guess in this way Linux is for Sysadmins and that ilk.   But if a
Linux box is set up properly for the end user, and they are given the
training needed (this is sorely needed, whatever the platform), then the
user should actually be MORE efficient in Linux.  No reboots, no GPF's etc.
The worst I have ever come across is to kill X and startX again.

I would like more of my clients to use Linux.

Regards,

Rob Hall

Heights Computer Management
"Making computers work for you."