[plug] LILO Problems

Andrew Howell andrew at avon.it.net.au
Thu Feb 11 22:42:31 WST 1999

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 09:25:18PM +0800, Rick wrote:
> At 23:06 10/02/99 +0800, you wrote:
> >I know I'm a bit of a newbie, but I've just been reading the RH install
> guide, and it really sounds to me like you're problem could be solved by
> creating a /boot
> >partition of say, 16M (which is huge, but insignificant)
> >

> Perhaps someone can edify us newbies. What, if any, is the advantage in
> having a number of partitions for Linux? Most of the stuff I've read to
> date, has made the point that a number of partitions are a good idea. The
> 'linux pocket book' suggested having only two. One for the swap and the
> other for the rest.

Well one good reason is say you have a /tmp filesystem seperate from your /
fs.

If you write a load of junk to /tmp and fill it, it won't fill your root fs which
could be bad.

Same reason again for things like /var

If things are done properly you can have a /usr fs and mount it read only.

I usually have

25 meg /
64 meg /tmp
swap double my RAM
500 meg /usr though it depends on what i'm using the machine for
and 200 meg or more for /var depending on whether I mount home under var

Andrew

--
Dehydration - 34%, Recollection of previous evening - 2%, embarrassment
factor - 91%.  Advise repair schedule:- off line for 36 hours, re-boot

Andrew Howell
Perth, Western Australia			       andrew at it.net.au