[plug] Re: Members' ages (what about profiles ?)

Rob Hall rob at hcm.iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 12 12:02:32 WST 1999

Computer consultant working from home here.  Do a variety of stuff for small
business.  Been getting a lot of Linux related stuff recently.  Small
business is  confronted with either Win NT server (very inflexible, tends to
go down often, difficult to remotely administer, costs $2000 + and then my
labour on top of that) or Linux (very flexible, tends to stay on line, easy
for me to administer remotely, costs $0 + and my labour on top of that) and
guess which way they ALWAYS go!

I tend to make more on an NT setup, because there will ALWAYS be followup
work, but customer satisfaction isn't always 100%.  With Linux I set it up
and don't hear from the client for ages, and if I do get a problem, it
doesn't take long to fix over a modem line.  Not quite the profit margin for
me, but a very good customer satisfaction rate!

Love my work intensely.

Will be going to uni (ECU) this year to do Bachellor of Business with a
majors in Information Systems and Operations Management so I will be gearing
down my business to part time for a few years.

Regards,

Rob Hall

Heights Computer Management
"Making computers work for you."