[plug] 3com netcard module

s.humble steve at newton.dialix.com.au
Sat Feb 13 02:13:51 WST 1999

Yes i just installed a 3c509 card in each of my 2 computers to learn
about networking

Leon Brooks wrote:

> Shackleton, Kevin wrote:
> >
> > I just installed Debian 2 on a PC with a 3com 3c509b ISA card.  I can
> > modprobe the card (modprobe eth0) and get that it's at io=0x300 irq=10, but
> > the card does not seem to have been recognised at install nor come up
> > properly after the modprobe.  If I put in a line "options eth0 io=ox300
> > irq=10" in conf.modules there is a complaint about an unrecognised entry
> > "io=0x300".
>
> For the 3C509-COMBO off to my left here, I use a /etc/conf.modules
> containing...
>
>         alias eth0 3c509

yep i did that bit as well it still didn't work - i may have missed
something
so i just went and reinstalled my RH 5.2 again and used the networking
setup
to automatically setup the card - it worked immediately for both my
machines
Just watch out though reinstalling will rename your XF86Setup and a few
other files
and replace them with new ones.

One day mabey i will discover how to actually setup the ethernet card
without
going through the RH install routines.