[plug] The death of Man Pages. was: Trouble with LILO

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 14 07:57:59 WST 1999

> From: David Buddrige <buddrige at q-net.net.au>
> Paul Wilson wrote:
> > OK, found it.  It's 1000 lines of source, and needs checking over for
Linux
> > compatability (I'll find time to do some of that tomorrow).
>
> Coooool....... wouldn't mind having a pee-bo at the code if u want to
email it
> to me... 8-)
>
> > What do I do with the thing now?  I've just realised that I've actually
got
> > no idea what
> > a GPL release involves !
>
> Basically get a copy of the GPL in text format (you should be able to get
one
> from opensource.org.au or Redhat.com.au) and then edit the text files and
add
> a note to each saying that this code is released under the Gnu public
license,
> and that it may be freely distributed and modified under those terms.
Then
> tar/gzip the whole thing and post it somewhere (have you got  a
web-page?)
> where it can be freely downloaded.  If u like I can post it on my own
> web-site... just email it to me, and I'll post it on my site...
>
> You could possibly also send it to one of the main GPL distro outlets
such as
> sunsite.anu.edu.au... I don't know the procedure there though... (Could
anyone
> suggest what the procedure might be for posting something at sunsite? )

OK Dave, I still need to do a few things to it, but I'll gzip and email the
source 'as is' later this morning.  At the moment, it takes a command as a
parameter and prints an HTML stream onto stdout. I'd rather have it take a
parameter conventionally, *or* accept it via the CGI mechanism (which I
have the code for). That way, it will be able to exist as either a 'batch'
job to bulk process man pages in the background, or as a CGI binary which
will dynamically produce HTMLised man pages on request. I should be able to
fit those changes into todays workload.

Thanks for the info about GPL, I'll do that and drop it off on my web pages
somewhere together with a demo.

Paul