[plug] Memory

Rob Hall rob at hcm.iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 16 12:51:16 WST 1999

Here's an interesting one (at least I thought that it was)

I recently was fiddling with an old IBM 486 DX 66 with 8 Mb RAM.  I upgraded
it to 24 Mb using stabdard RAM instead of the proprietry SIMMs from IBM.
The BIOS accepted it which I thought was unusual.

I was using it here as a router with Linux installed and it worked fine.
Linux recognised all 24 Mb of RAM without any trouble that I was aware of.
I recently gave the unit to an in-law as a gift.  We decided to put Windows
3.11 and Office on it for him.  The funny thing was that as soon as DOS run
himem the system would say that there was a memory problem and abort.

Just wondering if there is a techie out there who might understand, or even
hazzard a guess as to why Linux would recognise the RAM but DOS would not.
I was under the impression that Linux was more fussy over hardware than
Linux but it wasn't in this case.

Regards,

Rob Hall

Heights Computer Management