[plug] Re: minicom and modem config

Tamara Thompson THOMPSON at gate.sunquest.com
Wed Feb 17 01:22:34 WST 1999

I had a lot of trouble with minicom when setting up my modem.  It turned out that I had to change the jumpers on the modem to COM2 to get it to work without conflict. If minicom recognizes your modem, you should be able to start typing ATDT...

In RH you can check /proc/interrupts for more clues on what's using what interrupt.

A friend of mine sent me the information below--and linking did solve the problem.

do "man ln".  if your modem is set to be COM1, you want to do
"ln -s /dev/cua0 /dev/modem" to make /dev/modem point to the right
place. if the modem is set to COM2, then s/cua0/cua1/.  logging in as
root and running modemtool will also let you set /dev/modem up.  all
it is is a frontend to the "ln -s" command i gave above.

Hope it helps,
Tamara

"Thank God we got the convicts and they got the Puritans." -- letter to the editor, Sidney Morning Herald, on the subject of the Lewinsky affair

>>> "Marc Wiriadisastra" <strkefoc at vianet.net.au> 02/15 6:10 PM >>>
I have a question in minicom what do you type in to get a reading on what specific port you are on.  I'm having a sort of challenge cause I can't use netcfg in x or gnome or anything cause it can't find the modem port, but in minicom I'm having no problem which is weird so how do I find out what port it is on.

TIA,
Marc