[plug] telnet

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Thu Feb 18 16:40:30 WST 1999

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Rob Hall wrote:

> An associate changed a gateway address and the domain and server name on a
> server.  Shared folders, internet etc all works fine.  However I can no
> longer telnet to the server - the telnet client just hangs.  Even if I use
> the IP address.

Could it be the server is trying to look up _your_ IP address, and for
some reason can't talk to it's DNS servers, which is making it take a
while to accept you?
when you say "just hangs" - how long have you left it sitting there before
giving up?

>  Is there anything
> else that he might of inadvertantly changed that could cause this behaviour?

Well the gateway address change could have caused this problem too, if
it's trying to route back to your IP address through the wrong gateway.
Any additional interfaces/routes he may have added could cause this
problem too, as could a misconfigured firewall...

Depends on how much this associate knows, and what commands he may have
typed... sounds like he's the type of person that knows "just enough to be
dangerous" :)

 - Matt