[plug] Re: RELAYING DENIED

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Feb 19 17:49:32 WST 1999

Lindsay Allen wrote:
> I could use some help with a sendmail problem. I have a new Debian box
> acting as smarthost for an NT mail server.  The NT box has a private net
> IP so the Debian box has an MX record pointing to the NT box.  Nothing
> special here.

Ummm... shouldn't the _Debian_ box be the MX target, and then relay it
to the _private_ NT box? Otherwise, the outside world's SMTP clients
won't be able to see the NT box.

> But when mail destined for the NT box arrives, I get a message about relaying
> being denied.  Here are two log entries for one such message:

> Feb 18 16:51:25 gw sendmail[2348]: QAA02348: ruleset=check_rcpt,
> arg1=<igaynor at comoshs.wa.edu.au>, relay=root at mentor.cbcfreo.wa.edu.au
> [203.91.66.225], reject=550 <igaynor at comoshs.wa.edu.au>... Relaying denied

> Feb 18 16:51:25 gw sendmail[2348]: QAA02348:
> from=<root at mentor.cbcfreo.wa.edu.au>, size=46, class=0, pri=0, nrcpts=0,
> proto=ESMTP, relay=root at mentor.cbcfreo.wa.edu.au [203.91.66.225]

> Does the message mean that the Debian box will not forward the mail, or
> is the NT box refusing it?

Add a Cw line for the NT box in /etc/sendmail.cf maybe?

--
Q.  Does Usenet help stamp out ignorance?
A.  That depends on whether by "stamp out" you mean "eliminate" or