[plug] UNIX - RISKS

HILL Walter walter.hill at customs.gov.au
Mon Feb 22 14:16:17 WST 1999

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Christian [SMTP:again at global.net.au]
	Sent:	Monday, February 22, 1999 12:19 PM
	To:	P.L.U.G.
	Subject:	Re: [plug] UNIX - RISKS

	On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, HILL  Walter wrote:

	> I had to way up the inconvenience of the size plus the
possibility of
	> telling people to suck eggs vs possible risks of attaching
your LINUX
	> host to a public network data network.

	These risks are as old as networks themselves and are
self-evident (or
	should be) to anyone involved in connecting a Unix machine to a
network.

	What reaction should we have to this sort of message?  "Ok
everyone, shut
	down all our Unix machines, unplug them from all the networks."
This is
	more effective than a denial of service attack!

	Yes disconnecting your UNIX or whatever OS machine from a
network would be a good means of preventing DoS attack.

	There are inherent risks in connecting any computer to any
network - if
	you want your computer to be safe, lock it away somewhere and
never switch
	it on.  But if you want your computer to be useful then assess
the risks,
	connect it to a network if required, secure it as much as you
can, remove
	any services you don't require and monitor it continually.

	You can't effectively assess risk if you are deprived of the
necessary information to make an informed decision. I didn't advocate a
bunker mentality; I merely passed on what I considered to be useful &
relevant information to allow others to make decisions, and if
necessary, take appropriate action. I prefaced the post accordingly.

	Regards,

	Christian.