[plug] Man pages

navarre at omen.com.au navarre at omen.com.au
Fri Feb 26 16:55:57 WST 1999

I find the man pages good for the reasons of speed, will run on
anything and are searchable. I am however put off by the fact that
there are no examples of how to use the command/ function in the
man page. Take date for example. what sort of black magic does it
take to use date to write the string HH:MM:SS dd/mm/yyyy so it
can be included in a log file. I have found the answer after about a
hour of trying different constructs of the command line.
The date --help was more usefull than man. But for setting the time
the man page had more info.

The morrel of the story is to consult all and every source of
information available including email, irc, man, help, a good book
and the Howto pages. Generally the answer can be found in one or
more of these places.

Regards Navarre